Missing teeth can be a huge problem for both your health and your appearance. If not properly treated, missing teeth can lead to shifting teeth, jawbone deterioration, problems with chewing, speech issues, and cosmetic concerns. With your smile being one of the first features people notice about you it, it’s completely understandable if you’ve been a bit timid to let others see your pearly whites. Thankfully, there is a solution for you that the team at Heroes Dental can provide. Dental implants are a great option if you are interested in regaining natural-looking teeth that can help you to eat, talk, smile, and enjoy life like you once did. Keep reading to learn more about dental implants.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are an effective way to fill in missing gaps in your teeth with natural-looking replacements which blend in perfectly with your other pearly whites. Dental implants can prove to be fantastic at helping to preserve your overall oral health while also helping to improve your quality of life. Generally made of titanium or zirconium materials, which are safe for the human body, dental implant posts are implanted into the jawbone to act as the root of the replacement tooth. A dental bridge or crown is then used to cap the implant for a natural-looking finish. Implants are made to be secure and have a 98% success rate.
The Fantastic Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants are a comfortable and permanent solution to missing teeth. They are definitely well worth the investment and can truly make a positive difference in your life. If you’re wondering what some of the advantages of dental implants are, consider the following:
- – You can’t spot the difference. They feel, look, fit, and function like healthy, natural teeth. They’re much more comfortable than dentures and allow you to maintain your traditional oral health routine.
- – They last a long time. If you properly take care of your dental implants, they can last many decades. On the other hand, options like dentures need to be replaced every 5 to 10 years, which can be costly and time-consuming.
- – Give a meaningful boost to your confidence. Your dental implants will be secure, so they won’t slip or click when you talk or laugh. They’ll also improve your smile, which can really do wonders for your social life.
- – Dental implants can help to protect your health. Leaving empty spaces in your mouth after losing one or more teeth can lead to health issues such as jawbone deterioration. Dental implants are the only tooth replacement option that helps stimulate bone growth and prevent bone loss.
- – Eating is made easier. Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- – Your speech improves. With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within your mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without this worry.
The Process of Getting Dental Implants
- First, our San Juan dentist will surgically place the implant into the jawbone. It’s recommended to eat soft foods and warm soup during the healing process. The bone around the implant heals in a process called osseointegration.
- What makes an implant so strong and sturdy is that the bone grows around it and holds it in place. Generally, patients will need to wait until the implant is completely secure before the replacement teeth can be attached to the implant.
- Lastly, it’s time for the placement of the artificial tooth/teeth. For a single tooth implant, your dentist will customize a new tooth for you called a dental crown. The crown will be designed to blend in with your other teeth.
If you are replacing more than a single tooth, custom-made bridges will be made to fit your mouth. In the weeks following your dental implant procedure, it is crucial that you keep your teeth clean to prevent a specific periodontal disease known as “peri-implantitis.” If you fail to properly take care of your dental impact, this can result in the loss of the implant. As always, you’ll want to follow a solid oral healthcare routine, which should include:
- – Brushing twice a day and after meals when possible.
- – Rinsing with antiseptic wash and floss daily.
- – Avoiding acidic and sugary foods that can cause plaque.
- – Be cautious when chewing hard foods.
- – Avoiding tobacco products.
- – Visiting your local Heroes Dental for regular check-ups.
- – Consulting your dentist for concerns and advice on your implant.