Summer is full of fun and exciting experiences for kids. For a couple of months, they get to enjoy the outdoors and other summer fun like camps, retreats, and vacation.
But the bustle and downtime of summer can also break good habits.
The family dentists at Little Heroes would like to remind parents that a visit to their local dentist should be high on their back-to-school to-do list. These checkups will go a long way toward identifying and fixing any potential issues before kids head back to class.#Summer is almost over. #DontForget to schedule an appt with #LittleHeroes #RGV Click To Tweet
What To Expect At Your Little Heroes Summer Dental Checkup
You can expect your Little Heroes dentist to be thorough when they check your child’s teeth. A visit to our dentist offices in Laredo, Mission, San Juan, Pharr or Edinburg will include:
- Overall Dental Health Checkup: This portion of your visit includes a ton of very important examinations. With the focus on teeth and gums, your dentist will make sure that everything is developing as it should. This includes the shape of your child’s bite, how their teeth are lining up, the status of baby teeth, and checking for potential future orthodontic issues.
- X-rays: These images will not be taken every time your child visits us at Little Heroes. X-rays are done only when necessary to get a closer look at the development of teeth. An x-ray allows us to take a closer look at tooth roots to ensure they are healthy and to check for tooth decay. Decay can happen quickly so it is important to identify it as soon as possible.
- Cleaning: Even when we brush twice a day, we can’t completely get rid of all the bacteria in our mouths. Whether your kid has been doing so regularly during the summer or skipping brushing sessions, a cleaning should be a top priority on the to-do list. This will help to get rid of all the gunk between teeth as well as keep gums healthy and remove most stains.
- Mouthguards and Other Protective Gear: With school starting up again, this means a return to sports for many of our children. To keep their teeth safe when they compete they will need a good custom-fit mouthguard. If they already have one, they should bring it to their appointment. Your child is still growing and this development will require adjustments to their mouthguard to make sure it fits well and is comfortable.
- Cavities & Sealants: Not everyone gets away from cavities and your dentist will make sure that any damage is taken care of, either at the checkup or at a later date. Any decayed tissue will be removed and the cavity will be filled to stop further damage. Sealants may also be added to help protect your child’s teeth. These thin coatings on permanent molars will help reduce the risk of cavities by 80%, though they are not a substitute for brushing and flossing.
Gearing up for school? Don’t forget to visit Little Heroes before summer is over!
Altogether, you should have a very good idea of the state of your child’s dental health once a back-to-school visit is over. The sooner you get it done, the easier it will be to plan for any additional appointments that might be required.
Little Heroes has a wonderful, experienced staff that is ready to help you cross these visits off your back-to-school agenda.