You notice one day while looking in the mirror that your teeth are crowding together in your mouth and realize that you need to start correcting this issue. Don’t worry. You’re not alone.
Around 4.5 million people in the United States are wearing braces or some appliance that straightens their misaligned teeth.
If you’re looking to join the Perfect Smile Club, look no further than your friendly family orthodontists here at Heroes Dental. We have the experience to painlessly install braces that will help straighten out your smile in no time flat.Around 4.5 million people nationwide wear braces #NotAlone #PerfectSmileClub #RGV #HeroesDental Click To Tweet
How Can I Tell If I Have Crooked Teeth?
You can have a great smile but if your teeth are crooked, out of alignment, rotated, or out of position, your smile can be affected. For a growing teen, this can be slightly embarrassing, discouraging them from smiling brightly.
While you don’t need to be a neurologist to find out if you have crooked teeth or not, it does require a degree of inspection on your part. Check your smile in the mirror and pay attention to your daily behaviors to see if you:
- Have a difficult time chewing – This is usually the first sign that you have crooked teeth. If your teeth are crooked, it may make chewing and swallowing more difficult.
- Have crowded teeth – If there is no space between your teeth, they may start to push other teeth out of alignment. This may cause a chain reaction that subsequently shifts the rest of your teeth in that particular row out of alignment as well.
- Have large spaces between your teeth – Having spaces in between your teeth can hinder the natural function of your teeth and jaw. Like teeth crowding, a gap in between your teeth can cause other teeth to fall out of their natural alignment and position.
- Have an under or overbite – Also known as a type of malocclusion, an overbite occurs when your upper jaw protrudes out further than your bottom jaw. With an underbite, the opposite occurs where the lower jaw protrudes out more than the top jaw. Your upper and lower jaw should always be in alignment.
What Can I Do If I Do Have Crooked Teeth?
Lucky for all of us, crooked teeth do not have to be permanent. Our skilled orthodontists at Heroes Dental have the experience necessary to set you up with braces that will align those pearly whites into a beautiful smile.
If you’re not sure if braces are for you, however, there are a few things that you can do to quell any fears or anxieties you may have about getting them:
- Talk to a friend that has braces – Getting braces is a new experience for you, so asking someone that has gone through it can provide calming insight into how simple and painless the procedure is. This valuable conversation can also help you figure out if getting braces installed is right for you.
- Gain insight from your general dentist – A good dentist can do a lot for your oral health. While they are not specialized to install braces for you, they can offer sound advice about your teeth, inspect them by taking x-rays and administering bite tests, and refer you to a reliable orthodontist. Better yet, kill two birds with one stone and ask your dentist here at Heroes Dental during your next cleaning.
- Consult with an experienced orthodontist – Picking the right orthodontist can be overwhelming, but rest assured when it comes to orthodontics, you can’t beat Heroes Dental. Our state-of-the-art office coupled with our helpful staff can ease your concerns during this anxious time. Our orthodontists can walk you through the procedure so that you are fully aware of what will happen before you make your decision.
All that’s left after that is to make the decision on whether you want to have your beautiful smile aligned. On a side note, it may be beneficial to check with your health insurance provider about any dental coverages or out-of-pocket expenses.
Also, keep in mind that braces are usually kept anywhere between 12 to 20 months in order for your teeth to stay aligned. A retainer may be advisable afterward as your teeth may still be vulnerable to shifting back to their old, crooked positions.
Alternative Options to Braces
The following are perfect alternatives that can be used if you feel that braces just aren’t for you. Consult with your general dentist or orthodontist here at Heroes Dental about:
- Veneers – This is more for teenagers and adults looking to straighten their teeth. Veneers are thin sheets of porcelain that are bonded on to the front surface of your teeth. This procedure can offer near-instantaneous results, perfecting your smile.
- Clear Braces –If you’re looking for a straighter smile but you’re not too keen on the idea of having a metal smile, clear braces might be the perfect choice for you. Clear braces are created from composite materials that come in a variety of transparency levels and are a great option if you’re looking for something subtle but effective.
Are you looking to perfect your smile? Take the first step by visiting a Heroes Dental orthodontist. You’ll fall in love with your smile.
Fearing braces has become a thing of the past. The procedure has been perfected over time to maximize results in a timely manner. Don’t hide your smile from the world.